How: Moving Complaints

How to file a complaint against a mover with the New York State Department of Transportation

  • Intrastate (Moves WITHIN New York)The Department of Transportation grants licenses to moving companies that operate within New York State. If you’ve recently moved within New York State and have had a problem with your move, you can file a complaint with us and we’ll look into the issues surrounding your move. Keep in mind that we only regulate moves that started and finished within New York.
  • Interstate (Moves crossing state lines)If your shipment has crossed a state line, the jurisdiction over your move is now under the Federal government. This is true even if the move originated or terminated in New York State. You should contact the USDOT, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration The preceding external link opens a new browser window at 1(888) 368-7238. More information regarding interstate moving can be viewed at their web site.

If your move resulted in loss or damage, be sure to notify your mover IN WRITING as soon as possible. Movers are required to respond to a written claim within 30 days and resolve the claim in writing within 120 days. Keep in mind that a resolution can be payment in full, a compromise settlement, or a denial of the claim. If you are dissatisfied with the settlement of your loss or damage claim, you can seek a resolution in Small Claims Court. The Department of Transportation cannot adjudicate loss or damage claims. This is a civil matter and you must seek a resolution in court. If you obtain a judgment from a court, the mover must pay the judgment within 60 days. If you do not receive payment, the Department will assist you in collection of the judgment.

If you have a moving complaint for other than loss or damage, we may be able to help. If you feel that the mover has not honored the contract, has engaged in questionable business practices, or has failed to provide you with all of the appropriate paperwork, you can file a complaint with us. To file a complaint against a mover, download this Consumer Complaint Form The preceding link requires Adobe Reader.

After completing and signing the form, mail it to:

  • New York State Department of Transportation
    Office of Safety and Security Services
    50 Wolf Road, POD 53
    Albany, New York 12232

Please enclose copies of all paperwork and correspondence between you and your mover. Once we receive your complaint we will send you a letter advising you as to how your complaint will be handled. If you have any questions, you can contact us by e-mail at or by telephone at 1(518) 457-6512.



Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.